Wednesday, September 15, 2010

So here's to you Mrs. Robinson.

A few years back,
while sitting patiently inside my local movie theatre,
a new Dove commercial aired.
I was immediately taken aback by the images.

Everyday women,
embracing themselves,
loving their skin and smiling.
A simple,
yet powerful take on the female body and how beautiful women become as they mature.

I was looking at bodies that resembled my mothers,
my friends mothers,
my grandmothers,
my aunts....
Women who seemed and still seem nothing less than perfect.
Nothing less than pretty.
Nothing less than beautiful.

They called it a Pro-age campaing,
as opposed to the regular ol' anti-aging campaing.
A campaine to empower women through accepting the obvious,
WE AGE!

And there is NOTHING wrong with that.

I loved it.
With a huge smile on my face,
I thought to myself,
this is exaclty what the world needs right now.





That was the last time I saw the commercial.
Apparently,
due to nudity,
the commercial was banned.
hmmmmmmm
Interesting.

I guess,
in a world where gyrating teens,
freshly waxed crotches,
and girls kissing girls to gain profit reign supreme,
a simple Pro-aging commercial does seem a bit too much.
right?

Yeah,
no.

In a world where someone as young as 14 can receive plastic surgery with parental consent,
you mean to tell me a few rolls,
and some cellulite can't cut it?

I look at my mother,
my grandmother,
my aunts,
and all the mature, BEAUTIFUL women in my life and hate to know that they live in a world that refuses to acknowledge them.

In Dove's Global Study,
only 2% of the 3000 women surveyed believed they were beautiful.
Nine percent described themselves as "attractive" while 29% described themselves as "average."

I wonder why.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for not making fun of old women. I saw your blow while searing for something else. Respecting older people makes you special. Just wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tell them lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you feel pretty.
    My job is done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This just made me feel extra pretty today!
    Love this post. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete