Thursday, June 17, 2010

Culture Class. Day 4.










After graduating from high school, I lived in Glendale for a year and really enjoyed my time there.
Though I can sit here and brag about the beauty of the city,
in all honesty,
the real beauty and culture comes from the Armenian community that lives there.
Glendale is home to one quarter of Armenian Americans in Los Angeles.
In my building, I would wake up every morning to the sound of kids playing in Armenian,
to the smell of too many cigarette breaks,
and my neighbor teasing me with fresh baklava from the Baklava Factory.
But what really makes Glendale worth while, is Wilson Mini Park.
Now, when I say Wilson Mini Park, I'm not just talking about the park,
I'm talking about it's daily visitors.
Everyday,
from dusk till dawn,
I would see hoards of old, Armenian men gather at the park to converse and play board games.
Though Armenians stem from different countries,
the country of Armenia is a powerhouse for Chess.
Taking gold in the International Chess Olympiads, of 2006 and 2008.
Because of bringing this culture to LA, it has become its own sub-culutre.
But enough about all this chess talk, let's talk CLOTHES!!!!

The style of these men vary but the most predominant would have to be the "Newsie" look.
Most of these men look like they should be singing "Santa Fe" right next to Christian Bale in the Disney film, "Newsies".
Think;
a fit cap,
overalls,
extremely high waisted pants,
outer jackets
and thick fabrics.
Even if it's 99 degree weather outside,
these men are covered in their button ups, and knitted sweater vests.
I love the idea that these men take the time out of their lives to look elegant for a day at the park.
Now it's time for me to do the same.
Will you be inspired by all that is old, Armenian and chess playing?
Let's hope so!



If you don't like musicals,
then just image Armenian men singing this at the park.
It'll give you a good giggle.

*newsie images via shorpy.com

4 comments:

  1. do i see a bit of micheal jackson dancing here : 0

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice to see people get dressed up. It is refreshing. These days you see people in events that look like they just woke up and went to the event without evening looking in the mirror! You are plain lazy if you do not want to look your best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOVE! Newsies! I had never made the connection between the old men at the parks to the newsies' wardrobe before...I think I might give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should.
    and I think you should send me photos.

    ReplyDelete