Thursday, June 10, 2010

Culture Class. Day 3.

Z boys.

Tony Alva.

On the Prowl.
Wearing Vintage Jumpsuit and belt. Bathing Suit from Target.

Aldo and Jamie anticipating the Sk8er goodness.









=




One of the millions of things I love about LA, has to be that I have the option to just; RELAX.
If I want to step out in sweats and a t-shirt, no one will look twice.
There is a chill, laziness that comes with LA culture and having that option is pretty amazing.

The closer you get to the beaches in LA, the more the relaxed look and mentality starts taking place.
A subculture that really represents relaxation to me, would have to be skater culture.

Skateboarding is LA history.
The first ever manufactured skateboards were created at a surf shop in Los Angeles.
It's because of legendary LA skaters like Tony Alva and Stacy Peralta that the culture lives on to this day.

When I was in Junior High, I made it very clear that I was ONLY into skater boys.
Etnies, spiked hair, and frosted tips made my pubescent heart beat like mad.
In fact, my screen name at the time was sk8erlover911.
Yes.
I know.
Amazing.
I would sit by my schools fence and melt over the skaters who would roll by after they got out of school.
Since I was only allowed to wear a uniform, I would slickly flash them my Etnies to remind them of my dedication to their craft.
My love affairs never really quite existed, but the idea of them was all I really needed.
Since then, I have opened my heart to all looks of life, but deep down I will always love me a skater boy.

No matter where you go, there are skaters.
Chillin, blazing, and looking so fly without even having to try.
I wouldn't say there is a particular skating style since so many people do it now.
But it's safe to say that there is still a slight Punk influence which probably comes from the 70's skater punk movement.

Went to Venice with Jamie and Aldo the other day to stalk those skater boys.
Enjoy the show.
I did.

For even better skater pics, visit the blog Bomb Hills Not Countries.


*z boys photos via rockersyn.com, ivarhagendoorn.com

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering, if it were at all possible, if you could please explain to me, and your readers what a "z boy" is. I have never heard the term before, and I'm sure I'm not the only who's wondering. I mean, maybe I am the only one... as you know, English IS my second language. However this strange new term intrigues me. I would love a real culture class about this. I also have never heard of tony or stacy. Is there anymore information you could share about them? Also, what REALLY embodies skater clothing style? What items would you say encompass a skaters wardrobe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving that I get to see pictures of you and Aldo someplace that isn't facebook.

    ReplyDelete