Friday, May 7, 2010

Politics.


Last night, I had the pleasure of watching Chris Rock’s documentary; “Good Hair”.

The film was sparked by a question his daughter had asked one day;

“Daddy, why don’t I have good hair”?

On a quest to prove to his daughter that she is nothing less than perfect, he came up with a hilarious commentary on the frightening side of “beauty” and “fashion”.

In watching this film, you see two types of people.

Those who are influenced so heavily by “corporate expectation”, that they choose to deny there own happiness,

and those who merely enjoy fashion as an accessory.

I mean, we’ve ALL been there.

In Junior High, I would have given anything to be blond and blue eyed.

Original, right?

It genuinely upset me that I did not look like Farah Fawcett.

I had a checklist of things that I wanted to “fix” about myself.

I remember reading, in a popular teen magazine, a poll for men stating what they preferred in a girl.

Of course, it turned out, everything I wasn’t, was what “they preferred”.

Ridiculous right?

How dare they.

Yet since no one seemed to have a problem with it, I started to convince myself that I was the one that needed to change.

I know this all sounds ridiculous, but being hormonal, sensitive and an easily influenced pre-teen was definitely the root of my actions.

Don’t worry, this list is long gone.

Halfway disintegrated into the earth by now.

I mean, I’m not a ball of supreme confidence but I try my best now to be as secure as possible in my life.

So, in my opinion, it all boils down to one question.

Where do you draw the line?

Where do you realize the difference between accessorizing what is already beautiful in ones self, and fabricating beauty to mask ones insecurity?

Between painting your nails blue and bleaching your skin to appear lighter?

Between applying mascara and wearing green contacts on your almond eyes?

The truth of the matter was summed up greatly by, of all people, the rapper Ice-T.

He says, at the very end of the film,

“If a woman aint happy with herself, she going to bring nothing but pain to every fucking person around her”.

True story, Ice T. And that goes for everyone, not just women.

When we love ourselves, no matter how difficult, that really is just damn beautiful.


**Photo courtesy of the film, "Good Hair".

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! Hear! Hear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete