Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Merci, Coco.











I guess I jinxed myself with the lovely weather comments the other day.
It was a cold and rainy today and will continue to be so in the next few days.
But the blue skies, chilly winds and gloom got me thinking one thing; Coco.

Back in December I saw the film "Coco Avant Chanel" starring Audrey Tautou as Coco, herself.
It was an amazing experience.
The theatre was completely empty with the exception of two old ladies, me and another single young woman.
I got the vibe that we were all just there to indulge in all that was French, fabulous and fashionable.
The movie was spectacular.
Audrey Tautou really can do no wrong.
I never knew much about the life of Coco Chanel, but as the movie progressed I came to the realization that; this woman was a huge step towards female liberation.
This woman broke the mold.
She saw beauty in simplicity, in light fabrics, in dark colors.
She saw beauty in accentuating what was natural and replacing pain with comfort.
I can only imagine what people were thinking when they saw her in nothing but a button up and some trousers, walking amongst a sea of corsets, wigs and bustiers.
Ladies loved her.
They saw freedom, emotionally and physically, in her clothing.
They saw a chance to dress for themselves rather than their male counterparts.

Though they never really got down to the inspirational root of her fashion choices, I started imagining that maybe, during all her club days, she must have walked into a few underground lesbian bars and saw inspiration within the androgyny and butch femininity of that culture.
Not a true fact, but I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm not much of a designer girl.
Not my thing.
But this story really opened my eyes to the revolutionary that was; Chanel.
Don't get me wrong, I have an awesome collection of colorful, curve accentuating clothes.
I used to feel my most confident when I would wear these types of outfits.
But then I thought to myself; "am I really that confident if I feel uncomfortable in a loose pair of slacks?"
hmmm.....
Dress up time!

After seeing the film, I went on a mass search for loose, light fabrics, boots and top hats.
I dressed like this until it started getting hot and I started missing my neon's and spandex.
But the cold weather today brought back that need for simple, elegant, Coco inspired chic.

So, as I went to eat with my beautiful mother, I walked around with confidence in myself rather than just in my curves.

Thank you Coco Chanel for helping me feel pretty for what I am rather than for what I have.

*"Coco Avant Chanel" image via gracemagazine.wordpress.com
*Complete vintage ensemble.
*My mom. :)
*90's rubber band stolen from my mothers closet.
*Vintage blouse from Antique store.
*Vintage belt taken off a vintage dress from Owl Talk, Eagle rock.
*Blouse was see thru so I wore a vintage tank slip.
* Vintage Capezio shoes from garage sale in Hollywood.

2 comments:

  1. Obsessed with those boots!!!
    and slightly depressed that i still have not seen that movie!
    such an epic fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama, you NEED to go down to your nearest blockbuster and rent that ish!!!!
    I have faith in you!

    ReplyDelete